Onions are just one of many common items potentially toxic to your dog.
Common household items can be toxic for dogs and cats. Ingestion of just a small amount of some cleaning products, food, and plants can be fatal. Other toxins, exposed to paws and skin, can cause serious illnesses. Be sure to keep the following items away from your pet.
1. Laundry detergents and fabric softener sheets can smell sweet and intrigue a curious pet. If ingested, these can cause digestive problems, irritation of the mouth and tongue, and even death. Never put a fabric softener sheet in a pet’s bed or kennel to make it smell fresher.
2. Mouse and ant killers can be tracked around the house. If exposed to a paw, it can easily be ingested causing a host of health issues. Bring your pet immediately to the vet if you suspect they have had contact with this type of poison.
3. Chocolate, even in small amounts, can harm a dog’s heart and nervous system. Never feed a dog any food containing chocolate.
4. Ice melt on driveways and stairs can easily become stuck to paws and fur. When an animal cleans itself, ingesting the chemicals in the ice melt, there can be harmful reactions including skin irritations, seizures, and even death.
5. Oleander, mistletoe, and lily plants are toxic to dogs and cats. Just one leaf from an oleander can kill a small pet. When discarding these plants, do not burn them. Inhaling the smoke can be harmful or even fatal to a pet.
6. Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can wreak havoc on a dog’s digestive and nervous systems.
7. Tylenol can be fatal for a pet. Never give dogs or cats any pain medication intended for humans. If a pet appears to be in pain, contact your vet.
8. Antifreeze is deadly for dogs. The sweet smell attracts many dogs who lap up the pungent liquid. Use a pet friendly alternative to antifreeze.
9. Avocados, raisons, grapes, and onions all contain toxins that are very dangerous for dogs. These foods can cause kidney failure and digestive problems. Onions can be particularly dangerous so never feed a dog any leftovers such as pizza or Chinese food.
10. Mouthwash contains boric acid, which can be extremely harmful to your pet. Never rinse your pet’s mouth with an antiseptic intended for humans. And keep the liquid out of reach as the smell can attract dogs and cats.
Powered by Wow Web Design