This month, Dogpawfile Magazine introduces a new feature, “Millie’s Menu.” Millie’s Mom cooks for Millie all the time, and has agreed to share her recipes with us on a regular basis! Welcome to the magazine, Chef Millie! And Bon appetit!
Millie’s Salmon Supper
2 pounds of salmon
2 cups cooked organic brown rice
1 cup organic carrots – sliced
1 cup organic green beans
1 organic sweet potato – chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
1 cup plain yogurt (no artificial sweeteners added)
1 cup naturally dried blueberries
1. Poach salmon in a large pot of water, reserving the water for making the brown rice and poaching the vegetables. Set poached salmon aside in a large mixing bowl.
2. Cook brown rice according to directions…for added flavor and more vitamins and minerals, use the reserved water from poaching the salmon to make your rice.
3. Boil the vegetables (carrots, green beans and sweet potato) in the remaining “salmon water” until they are tender.
4. In a food processor, puree the vegetables and the fresh rosemary until they are smooth. Pureed vegetables are easier for some doggies to digest.
5. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the brown rice, pureed vegetables and yogurt to form a soft mash.
6. Flake the cooked salmon in the large mixing bowl and add the rice/veggie/yogurt mash to the fish. Mix well.
7. Add the dried blueberries, stirring gently to combine. Blueberries have lots of anti-oxidants in them!
8. Let this mixture cool enough to place into individual freezer bags. Freeze any unused portion for later use.
9. Mix a small amount of this mixture into your doggie’s favorite high quality kibble, and watch him/her gobble it up!
Yummy, yummy in my fat tummy! Kiss kiss, from Millie LaRue