Millie, Dogpawfile’s resident chef, has been hard at work in the kitchen preparing for the holidays. She now shares with us a special holiday dinner she has named in honor of Pebbles and Summer’s first Christmas! After your pup has enjoyed this yummy meal, Millie suggests whipping up some Christmas cookies for your furry babies! Millie named her cookie recipe Twinkle and Skye’s Peanut Butter Terrifics! In honor of the season, Millie’s Menu now presents holiday dinner and dessert!
Pebbles and Summer’s FIRST Christmas Dinner
Original Recipe by Millie
3 baked sweet potatoes (organic)
1 Tablespoon butter
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 can cut green beans (organic)
1 organic apple, diced in small bits
2 pounds of baked ham, diced in small bits
3 Tablespoons cranberry sauce
3 Tablespoons prepared beef gravy (make sure that no onions are in this)
¼ cup organic dried cranberries
1. Scoop out the warm sweet potatoes into a large bowl and mash them all together….add the butter and cinnamon.
2. In a small saucepan, place the green beans and the diced apples. Cook until the apples are tender. Add this mixture to the sweet potato mixture. Stir together.
3. Add the ham, cranberry sauce, beef gravy and dried cranberries. Stir everything together until it is well mixed.
4. Mix a spoonful or two together with a little bit of high quality kibble and you have a Christmas dinner that you will never forget! You might even HOWL for seconds!!!
Save leftovers in pint-sized freezer bags, and freeze. We put only enough food in each baggie that we can eat in a few days so it will stay fresh. Thaw out in the refrigerator as you need it.
“Twinkle and Skye’s Peanutbutter Terrifics”
1/2 cup hot water
3 Tablespoons peanut butter
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix peanut butter and hot water together in a bowl until peanut butter is melted into the hot water…this will make it a LOT easier to mix into the flour!
3. Pour the flour into a large bowl…add the water and melted peanut butter mixture. Mix thoroughly.
4. Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a cookie cutter…place on a greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until lighted browned and very slightly crisp.
These will keep for 2-3 weeks in an airtight container.
From “The Healthy Dog Cookbook” by Jonna Anne and Mary Straus.