Harbor’s Caribbean Beef with Pasta
(adapted from the book “The Healthy Dog Cookbook” by Jonna Anne and Mary Straus)
With all of the cold weather that we have all been having, I think we are ALL ready for a taste of the tropics…so pawhaps Harbor will agree to prepare a big pot of this tasty dish for all of her pals to enjoy! This dish was so super duper easy to make, you’ll be AMAZED! Just let us know when the dinner-bell is ringing, sweet Harbor….kiss kiss!
3 pounds diced beef of choice (dice to size depending on doggie size)
1 medium organic sweet potato, peeled and diced in tiny bite size
8 oz. pasta of choice or egg noodles (Millie uses yolkless egg noodles because she is allergic to eggs)
1 cup small diced organic cantaloupe or honeydew melon
½ cup PLAIN, wholefat yogurt (NEVER, EVER use diet yogurt for your doggie…it has artificial sweeteners in it that can HARM your doggie!!!!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour a small amount of olive oil into a baking pan. Add the diced beef and sweet potatoes. Stir these two together and bake until the potatoes are slightly soft…about 25 minutes.
2. In a small saucepan, boil the pasta just before the beef is almost done…drain.
3. In the roasting pan, add the cooked and drained pasta, yogurt and melon. Mix together until well blended.
4. Add several spoonfuls to a small amount of high quality kibble and watch your doggie gobble this up.
5. Store any left-overs in small batches in freezer bags, in the freezer. Let thaw in the refrigerator when ready to use. We only place about 2 days worth in each freezer bag so each serving will be as fresh as possible.
Now that dinner is over, how about dessert? Come, enjoy some Hamish’s Hound Dog Cookies!
Hamish’s Hound Dog Cookies
(From the book “Real Food for Dogs” by Arden Moore)
These tasty little cookies would be a great snack to take along on picnics, or possibly some of those long hikes that Hamish’s Gang is so famous for! We love them anytime of the day though. You can cut them into whatever shape you choose…the sky’s the limit! If you don’t have time for cutting, just roll up a tiny ball and flatten with the palm of your hand…you don’t have to make it complicated. Enjoy…kiss kiss!
2 ½ – 3 cups organic whole wheat flour
2 small jars beef-flavored baby food
6 Tablespoons beef gravy (make sure there are no onions in this)
½ cup nonfat dry milk
½ cup water
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
Honey for glazing
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. Lightly pat your hands with flour and shape the mix into a big ball.
4. Flatten the ball using a floured rolling pin.
5. Use a cookie cutter to cut dough into shapes, or roll into balls and flatten. Place cookies onto a greased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
7. Allow the cookies to cool slightly.
8. Spread a thin layer of honey on top of each cookie to glaze…optional.
9. Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator.